I talk a lot about healthy foods, maintaining the right diet, and exercising. These are all great aspects of life to learn about and try for yourself but if you aren’t in the right mental state, it will be harder to keep up with your physical health. Mental health can truly make or break a healthy lifestyle and your physical health. It may be one of the most challenging parts of being healthy and it may take the longest to grasp completely. However, there are some tips to follow than can help improve and maintain your mental health:
- Talk about your feelings. This is definitely not always easy but it could be one of the most satisfying ways to relieve stress and built-up emotions. If it is difficult for you to open up to someone right away, try starting a journal where you write about your emotions. Even though you aren’t saying anything to someone who can react, releasing your feelings on paper can be just as satisfying, at least from personal experiences.
- Eat well. Try to choose foods that nourish your body. Eating clean and healthy will leave you feeling refreshed and may even give you more energy throughout the day. In return, you will feel more motivated to go about your day.
- Be active. Exercising is one of the most effective activities that keep me at a good mental state. When I work out, I feel good about my body and my mental health is at its best.
- Surround yourself with good people. Be honest with yourself about the people in your life and keep in touch with true friends and family members who make you feel good. Positive, uplifting people will transfer their energy to you.
- Do something you are good at. If you’re good at drawing, hit the sketch pad. If you’re good at baseball, grab your glove and a ball. If you’re good at the guitar, play your heart out. Doing something that you’re good at will boost your self-confidence and leave you feeling more positive about yourself.
Of course, this list of guidelines isn’t the magical recipe that will instantly cure poor mental health. If you are genuinely concerned for the mental health of yourself or of a loved one, I recommend consulting a doctor first. However, I truly believe this is a good list to get started. Be confident in yourself and work on emitting as much positive energy into the universe as you can. You are your biggest cheerleader and it is up to you on how you want to keep your body healthy. You only get one body in this life, so do whatever you can to treat it right. Whether your goal is to lose weight, be stronger, or even get a new job, start with being positive first. This will be your foundation for success.
Stay healthy and be strong!